Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Day: Stop Saying We are Blessed?

Did the title catch your attention? It did mind several months ago when I came across an article entitled "The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying" from the Huffington Post by Scott Dannemiller. The title immediately caught my attention, and I wanted to know what was that one thing! What should we stop saying?? I was struck even more when he was describing how we often just naturally and automatically may refer to ourselves or our material possessions as being "blessed" or "blessings". I know I do it often because I feel that I am also expressing my gratitude in some way when I recognize them as "blessings".

Dannemiller, a speaker/author/blogger/worship leader, chose to stop saying he had been "blessed". In fact, he said just because he had a successful career and a promising future did not qualify him as being deserving of it. These external gifts were not "blessings" for which he had been granted and rewarded with because of his exemplary faith and piety. Although he was a family man and earned a decent, respectable income, he proposes that calling ourselves blessed as being almost "offensive" to the hundreds of millions of Christians who earn less than $10 a day. He describes his first-hand experience about the misconception on the theory of prosperity, and that faithful people struggling to feed their families were simply told they were not being faithful enough. They were living with the mentality that God would provide if they just worked or tried harder then they would be shown favor. However, just because one did not happen to be born in a country of affluence where we are favored with our everyday basic needs comfortably being met, did not mean faithful, struggling people are less blessed or any less deserving!

I am not judging here as I indulge in things myself and often refer to it all as the "blessings" in our life. I like to buy new shoes, drink wine, get a new purse, and enjoy fine dining. Although I would be lying if every time I make a purchase or my husband and I enjoy a nice dinner, that I don't feel small pangs of guilt inside me. How many kids could the money we spent on that dinner have gone towards feeding that struggling individual; or if I had not bought those shoes or that purse, how much could I have donated to help someone scraping by to put food on the table or buy clothes for the kids. I always tell my husband "we are so blessed.....oh, we are so blessed". His response is "Yeah, we are, but we also work hard too!". Yes we do, but that doesn't entitle us to it, if anything we have been given gifts that are a responsibility to use wisely. He works at a demanding job that requires great skill and calculations (uggh), and I had worked very hard in veterinary school. But as Dannemiller points out in his of the article.... just because we work hard doesn't guarantee us a comfortable life. 


"I have no idea why I was born where I was or why I have the opportunity I have. It's beyond comprehension. But I certainly don't believe God has chosen me above others because of the veracity of my prayers or the depth of my faith. Still, if I take advantage of the opportunities set before me, a comfortable life may come my way. It's not guaranteed. But if it does happen, I don't believe Jesus will call me blessed......My blessing is this. I know a God who gives hope to the hopeless. I know a God who loves the unlovable. I know a God who comforts the sorrowful. And I know a God who has planted this same power within me. Within all of us. And for this blessing, may our response always be....Use me."
 See full article here The One Things Christians Should Stop Saying

While I don't truly believe we should stop saying we are blessed, or stop thanking God for the material and/or tangible things in our life.....I do think often I am guilty of not being grateful for just the fact that I have been beautifully crafted and created to live this life. I am so grateful for the things we have in our life, but I have to remind myself it isn't because I chose it, deserved it, or worked hard for it. I work no harder than that struggling or "scraping by" person, I happen to be given it, abundantly and undeservedly. I want to wish you all a.....and I will say....blessed Thanksgiving! I am beyond grateful for my family, husband, children, parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, friends, health, career, job, car, home, and YOU! The people that actually read what I have to write about. I am still working on the true "mission" of this blog, but for now I just write what comes to my mind and heart.

Gratefully,
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment