Wednesday, December 30, 2015

525,600 minutes...how do you measure the moments so dear!

As the year 2015 comes to an end, I usually take the time that I am off work to clean, organize, and declutter my home. I notice that as I do this, it becomes somewhat an emotional task as I think back on the past year. While working around the house, I usually will play a movie or some music that really just serves as background noise. But on Tuesday of this week, I streamed the musical movie Rent off Netflix because I hadn't seen it in ages. I had at one time knew the music really well, so I thought it would be good to play while working and I could sing along. As soon as the song "Seasons of Love" came on with the lyrics "525,600 minutes....", I kind of stopped dead in my tracks and just listened!


525,600 minutes, 525,600 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure,

measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In

inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you

measure a year in the life?

How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love. Seasons of

love.  


Oh so many moments so dear! Especially with my family, friends, and loved ones, and to record them here would make for a very long blog post, which I still may do like my sister did on her blog. A beautiful post on the past year. See Reflection on 2015. I had set New Year's Resolutions like most people, but honestly like more than half of society I did not uphold them well at all the first 5 months of the year. However, over the summer, many things changed. I started to crank the motions in gear and picked up momentum! Here were my main 2015 resolutions. I did actually manage to implement most of my resolutions, although it took time and simply making an affirmative decision to get started.

1.Practice gratitude! I have tried to make it a point everyday to give thanks to God for the things in my life. If you read Steven Covey's 12 Habits of Happy People, or Matthew Kelly's Prayer Process. They both start off with #1 as "Being Grateful". That is what lead me to create "Gratefully Healthy". People who practice gratitude are generally more content, and more happy regardless of the circumstances that may come their way. I think sometimes "Oh I wish we had a bigger, finer home with more space and better kitchen appliances!". But then I think back. I grew up in a 1300 square foot house and shared a room with my sister for years. I don't recall having a troubled or deprived childhood. I don't remember feeling like we needed a fancier fridge. Would my kids really care? I didn't as a child. I had a wonderful childhood with supportive and loving parents. I don't remember ever feeling like I needed a better or bigger house. I was happy and loved, and more importantly I knew it. I should be extremely grateful for that! So I started a prayer journal this year utilizing the The Word Among Us daily journal. This journal had just enough space for a daily entry to reflect on what I was grateful for in my life. Everyday I wrote some form of "thank you for this new day!" and then mentioned one or two things, people, experience, etc that I was grateful for. I looked back at some of my entries at the beginning of the year. I amazed how much I have grown in the last year in gratitude. The main part of the growth was really consistency and the depth of the gratitude. It was at first for very general things...my family, my health, my job. Then my gratitude evolved into very specific and unique things like "thank you for that I was able to calm down to have that much-needed conversation with my husband" or "thank you for helping me find my lost keys". As Grethcen Rubins remarks in her book The Happiness Project "an atomosphere of growth" is very important contributor to happiness. By daily reflection I feel I have grown more grateful, and this, I believe, has made me happier. Love your life!

2. Commit to a Prayer "Power Hour". Prayer is truly my place of refuge, comfort, peace, clarity, and restoration. I grew up a cradle Catholic, and my upbringing did foster a prayerful lifestyle. But I will say that over the years, Catholicism is not just a ritualistic, church-going, religious habit. It defines me and I am not ashamed to say it. I started praying daily when I was in high school, and have never stopped. I try to get in at least 10-20 minutes a day. In 2015, I wanted to commit to an hour of perpetual adoration at St.Mark's chapel. It was slow going trying to find a suitable time, but finally I settled on Tuesday nights at 8pm. I started mid-summer, and it took a few weeks for me and my husband to get adapted to the schedule. At first, I would miss a week here and there because I would forget to go and lose track of the week. But then I told myself  "I committed to do this, you do it Diana!". I have been going weekly ever since! As hectic as life can be, you can only imagine what a full hour in quiet union with the Lord can do to restore your faith and peace. Some Tuesdays I think to myself "I just don't feel like getting out again today and going....I am too tired....I have too much to do around the house". But then when I leave the chapel at 9pm or sometimes a few minutes later, I am so incredibly grateful that I went and spent that much needed time in prayer. Dusty will ask me "How was it tonight?" and my usual response is "Great and much needed!". What do I do during that time? I pray of course, but I also may read a spiritual book or a Catholic book to better understand my religion, say the rosary, write in my prayer journal, sit there, and admittedly fall asleep sometimes (sorry, its true) the late time of day, quiet, and peace just form the perfect soporific surroundings. Its a power hour that has brought me much peace and contentment. Love the Lord!

3. Exercise Regularly. I have always been active, and I have always tried to keep up an exercise routine. After I had my two children,  I had had a major setback exercising consistently. I wanted to resume a routine, but I couldn't figure out how. So what did I do.....I went to the library! The library...are you thinking "What did you do, run laps around the stacks? Umm, don't you mean the gym?". Nope I went and checked out books on yoga/Pilates/strength training, health and wellness, and personal development books. I needed to not only get focused on my physical, but the mental health as well. I wanted to discover how to workout at home effectively, learn yoga poses, and do Pilates exercises, but I also needed to get the right frame of mind. I started doing Pinterest plank challenges and circuit workouts, walking the kids in a their wagon up and down our subdivision, walking around LSU's campus, setting a 20-30 minute timer to make sure I did exercise that long. These methods worked temporarily, and I gradually was moving more! Although they weren't quite establishing that routine. I also looked into gym memberships and exercise classes, but working, commuting, and taking care of my two young kids just didn't allow much time to go to the gym. I was contacted (which I believe was truly divine intervention!) by a veterinary classmate of mine to join a Beachbody accountability group. It took me a while to finally commit, but it was literally the BEST decision I ever made. It has changed my life. I finally exercise just about everyday and have been consistently doing so for 7 months with the motivation and inspiration from these accountability groups. I workout in the mornings because I am a true lark! Mornings are when I am most productive and at my best.  I usually don't get much more time than 30-40 minutes. So the Beachbody programs, like T25, Cize, and especially the 21 Day Fix were PERFECT for me. I could stay at home and get it done. Within a couple of weeks I was feeling SO much better. I am still doing the groups and exercising daily! I may have a rest day here and there, but the overall process is still intact. I knew I needed it, not for weight loss, but for overall health and well-being. I truly believe in these programs and what they offer people that commit to them. That's why I became a Beachbody coach. I wanted to share with others something that I really struggled with and God brought about a solution. Love to take care of yourself!

4. Build relationships. I realized also I was a Facebook junkie.....oh no! How could I waste so much time on social media!? But honestly, I love connecting with people. Facebook, Instagram, twitter may certainly have its downside; however, I have reconnected with friends from high school, college, my sorority, veterinary school, my hometown....all through these social media platforms. I think if used properly, its a gift! I work in a very isolated environment, and follow the same routine almost everyday.....so in a way social media provides stimulation, novelty, camaraderie, and entertainment. My kids are also still young and not yet involved in sports, dance, cheer, gym, etc....so I don't get to interact with other "soccer moms" right now either. That is what Facebook and my monthly online health and fitness accountability groups have done for me. Life is about building relationships, fostering friendships, and enjoying the presence of others. I have tried to appreciate that and work substantially on connecting with people, and I hope to continue to do so in 2016 with my blog. Love others!

5. Worrying Less! As I strived to be more grateful, pray more, exercise more, build and foster relationships....I found I was worrying less and less. I think this came about because I was growing more confident in myself, building meaningful relationships, fostering good healthy habits, and really no longer forcing myself to needlessly worry over stuff that really was trivial matters or just completely out of my hands. I didn't need to fret over everything. In the end, things work out as they should. I knew I needed to be more flexible, relaxed, and adaptable. Its still a work in progress for me not to worry. Especially as a mother, it seems we have an innate calling to worry!  But really, I started thinking "Its sinful to worry". What good does it do? It won't change any situation's outcome. All it will do is waste time and energy. It's like the saying goes "worry is like a rocking chair...always in motion, but never getting anywhere". Yes, I am not nearly as bad I use to be. I can remember having so much anxiety and worry while in veterinary school that I would hyperventilate! That stressor is finally gone, but I also am a different person than I was 5 years ago. With age comes at least some wisdom, and I am learning not to sweat the small stuff and just try to enjoy the ride. As I grow more grateful, confident, and less stressed, I find that many insecurities that would plague my mind and emotional health have dissolved considerably. The idea that I have to perfect at everything no longer disillusions me, and I just try to be who I am now. Love contentment and peace!

6. Start a blog. And so here it is. A year ago I told myself that I would start a blog because well frankly I just like to write! Writing relaxes me and it challenges me. Its a creative outlet, and technical knack. I started my blog "Gratefully Healthy" back in June and have not been very consistent with it. Mainly because of time constraints, but also still wondering what my blog was truly going to be about. I have done quite a bit of "soul-searching" on it these last several months, and I hope that it will help me deliver. Hopefully I will have 525,600 minutes to get it right and pursue the dream in 2016. Do what you Love!  Rent's Seasons of Love song

Happy New Year, and I will be sharing soon my 2016 resolutions!

Did you achieve your 2015 Resolutions??? Comment below, I would love to hear about it.

Quick disclaimer about RENT: Rent is a musical about impoverished young artists trying to survive and create a life in New York City's East Village under the shadow of HIV/AIDS. Its contains some potentially offensive and provocative language and topics, but the music is incredible and beautifully written, composed, and performed. I hope one could just for a moment appreciate the beauty of the art in lieu of stressing too much over the content i.e. don't watch it with your kids!

Gratefully,
Diana




No comments:

Post a Comment