Thursday, September 10, 2015

Happier and Healthier: What Health and Fitness accountability groups did for me?

I took a challenge.....a chance to better myself....and never felt better!


So I wanted to share with you all what Beachbody health and fitness challenge groups have done for me, what inspired me to create my Facebook page/blog “Gratefully Healthy”, and why I would love for you to join me! I am full-time working mom that commutes 45 minutes (or longer) to and from work, 5 days a week. I am a compliance veterinarian and work in research for the LSU AgCenter. The commute to LSU's main campus can be ROUGH, but I do get to work on the beautiful campus with its gorgeous live oak trees and lakes as well as visit Mike the Tiger at any time! I have two young children, Kaleb, 3, and Kora is 2. They are my world, but between raising them and working, finding time to exercise was very difficult. I tried figuring out how I could strategically make it to different exercise classes or the gym during my busy day. I thought maybe I could squeeeeze it in ........before I get to work...at lunch...maybe at night after kids go to bed. There had to be some time! I am a morning person 100%. When I was in veterinary school I use to wake up and study before classes! I knew when I would be the most focused, and it just so happen to be bright and early with the birds. Bright-eyed and bushy tailed as the saying goes....that was me! So how was I going to accomplish making exercise a priority again? Before I had children and a commute to work, I exercised regularly and mostly in the mornings. Not finding a way to routinely exercise was truly making me feel depressed. I felt moody, impatient, and frustrated that I couldn't do something that was so vital to my well-being. Health and fitness have always been so very important to me. I knew I needed it in my life, that my body deserved it, and it was imperative that I figure out how to do it. Read about one of my biggest "Whys" for healthy living!

Out of the blue one day, a past veterinary classmate of mine contacted me about joining a health and fitness challenge group that she was putting together with some of our past veterinary classmates. I was skeptical?! I had tried fitness challenge groups at work, and just could never get very involved in them. We had weekly check-ins, but mostly was own our own. However, I knew I needed the support of a group. I needed "fitness friends". So I told my classmate “Sure, I’m in!” and participated in the challenge group. I literally loved it within the first week! These are coach-led, 30-day challenge groups that are done all through a facebook private group utilizing Beachbody fitness programs. The group commits to doing a Beachbody fitness program, drinking Shakeology daily, and checking in daily with the group. Everyday you receive posts from your coach, usually first thing in the morning, providing motivation, health and fitness tips, recipe ideas, encouragement, and accountability.

So the challenge was on, I started out doing Shaun T's Focus T25 because it is 25 minute workouts, and I wanted to start out realistically. Attempting to do hour long workouts daily would not have been a realistic way to reach my goals for committing to exercising again. T25 was tough, but it whips you into shape! Honestly, I felt like I was getting in the best shape of my life. I then went on to Shaun T's brand new Cize dance program. Morning exercise was now becoming a routine! I had worked so hard doing T25, that I just wanted something with a new spin on fitness and something fun to keep me motivated to continue working out. I LOVED doing this program! I use to dance so I rocked it out like nobody was watching, well most mornings it was my dog, Bocephus, or my son. They were a supportive audience. Kaleb got up and danced with me on occasion too. Cize it up! Watch this video about dancing into fitness!

I also was introduced to Shakeology, my new addiction for nutrition! What's Shakeology? This is great tool to incorporate in your health and fitness journey that takes the guess work out of nutrition. It has 17 grams of protein, multi-vitamins, pre- and probiotics, antioxidants, phytonutrients, and much much more! I love it, and it gives me energy as well as helps with my ever present sweet tooth! I blend it up for breakfast after my morning workouts. You don't have to do any type of cleanse or take pills.  I don't want to take any type of pill if I don't have to! If I can get all the extra nutrition and supplements I may need in a delicious shake, I'm cool with that! Click here to learn more about Shakeology!
Also to further share some insight with you, I have been doing nutrition studies the last 3 years at LSU with a molecular nutritionist. I have been astonished about how important prebiotics and probiotics are to our gut health and really entire overall health! My colleague at LSU is one of the leaders in the research field of prebiotics and microbial gut health. We study how prebiotics have significant health effects including lowering body fat and improving insulin sensitivity (i.e. help prevent diabetes). Probiotics are the actual bacteria, like you get from yogurts like Activia; and prebiotics are the fiber sources that feed the gut bacteria to keep them alive and functioning. That's why you are told to get in more fiber in your diet! You live in harmony with these good bacteria to help be the healthiest you can in terms of weight, mental health, metabolic balance, and so much more. The power of the "bugs" in our gut amazes me. Shakeology includes pre- and probiotics and so many natural ingredients.

I have always been interested in health and fitness. It’s been an untapped passion of mine for so long that it is finally bursting out of me! That's why I decided to become a Beachbody Coach, I want to share these experiences with you and further develop my passion. I want build relationships with people and help work towards reaching health and fitness goals together. Challenge groups not only helped me physically, but mentally and emotionally. I don’t have a dramatic and impressive weight loss story or amazing before and after pictures that reveal a glorious physical transformation. However, if I could take before and after pictures of my mind or psychological state, there would quite a difference between the start of this journey and where I am now. I have become more positive, cheerful, motivated, accomplished, and well…..happier. I have felt even my relationship with my husband grow stronger, as we have been on this journey together and encouraged each other along. I also want to be the best role model for my kids by showing them how profoundly important it is to stay active, eat healthy, nutritious foods, and take good care of our bodies.

I used to a lead a life of very negative thinking and had almost zilch self-confidence. In veterinary school while in clinics, my evaluations after a rotation used to said "you need more confidence"! I feel like I appreciate who I am now in this world and whom God created me to be. Even if I don't have all the answers and don't have the perfect body. I am not aiming for perfection, I am aiming for progression! I am more confident in my abilities, and my hope is to strengthen you as well whether it be in nutrition, fitness, faith, or loving yourself.

Join me on this journey to live happy, healthy, and whole.
We can do it together!
My husband Dusty and I

PM on facebook, or email it at dianacoulon11@gmail.com.
http://www.teambeachbody.com/dianacoulon11

Have a blessed day!

Gratefully, 
Diana





2 comments:

  1. Nice to get the entire story..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such inspiration! It's neat to see how much I can relate. Veterinary field (certified small animal nutrionist, so that part of your blog really interested me), young children, full schedule. I tried a few months back to get back into fitness and clean eating, but the lack of inspiration and motivation left me just worn out and I quit. We need that push from others to keep going. -Erica A.

    ReplyDelete