Monday, September 14, 2015

I Always Say I Am Not Going Overboard......then I do!

And why that's ok with me to go a little overboard!

So I have been wanting for some time to write a blog about why I and, I think, others go a "tad" overboard for children's birthday parties. Remember the 1980's classic Ron Howard movie Parenthood with Steve Martin, Keanu Reeves, Mary Steenburgen, and Joaquin Phoenix (when he was a budding pre-teen)! In the birthday party scene for their oldest child, Kevin, who had emotional problems, the cowboy entertainer for the party didn't show. So Gil, Martin's character, transformed into Cowboy Dan! He had to put on his own hysterical cowboy act by chopping up a rug to serve as his chaps, wear a child size cowboy hat, and attempt to make balloon animals. What's the message!? As a parent you are going to do whatever you have to do to make your child smile, have fun on his birthday, and be the one that makes the memories for them. Even it seems silly, ridiculous, expensive, impractical, or superfluous.

I went a little further than what I always intend to or plan because those were my reasons. It wasn't because I wanted to win Facebook's Super Impressive Mom of the Year and show my friends and family how incredibly creative I could be. It also certainly was NOT to make other parents feel bad by not throwing an elaborate, Pinterest-inspired party; and that they were somehow doing their child an injustice in this world by not. Hey, its all about different strokes for different folks, I totally get it. I went a "tad" overboard mainly for two big reasons....

One, I wanted to outwardly demonstrate my excitement that I have a healthy, happy child that is another year older. Yes I may get frustrated with them from time to time, and Lord knows I need more patience. But my child is not suffering from a physical or mental abnormality. My children are not debilitated from cancer, disease, illness, impairment, or a disability (except the daycare sniffles from time to time, right). They have fully formed and functioning arms, legs, eyes, ears, hearts, lungs, and so much more. They bring me joy, happiness, love, and fulfillment. I want to celebrate that and if buying extra craft supplies, decor, and party food trays is a small way I can do that......then by all means. I am celebrating a day my child gets to live another day happy, healthy, and whole.

Second, I spent 8 years of my life so focused while in college and used primarily the left side of my brain. Translation.....being logical, analytical, and objective to study biology, biochemistry, physiology, anatomy and so on. This was all I knew for that period of time. I did nothing but study.  In veterinary school, I came home from classes just to open the book up again and get studying. So needless to say the right side of my brain, the creative side, was shrinking. I remember the first time reading a leisure book after graduating from school, it was a Nicholas Sparks book if I recall correctly. A guilty pleasure I had not had in 4 years. So I say all this to drive home the point that party planning was also a major creative outlet for me. Designing photo collages, banners, games, party decor, favors, and food labels to name a few got my creative juices bubbling. I use to paint with acrylics a good bit too. I did do that on occasion after veterinary school, but once I had my babies and my extra room to paint in became a nursery, there was hardly anytime for that hobby too. So I really enjoyed this opportunity for personalizing my child's birthday party and having fun with it.

I know my children will not truly remember their parties, and perhaps it was a stressful thing to plan, prepare, and pull off. But they will see the pictures from it, I have the memories, and I can share it all with them. My hope is that they will look back and appreciate that I was so excited to celebrate the mark of their birth in this world. They will look back at the pictures from their party and realize that I was so grateful for the love and joy they have brought me that I dressed up like a cow, created pigs out of pink balloons, looked up tea party games to play, made mickey mouse ear party hats, and even made a Toodles from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. So while it may seem silly, and "more for the parent than the kid" kind of thing. Well that may be true, it is silly. Don't we need to be from time to time! I have been serious way too long! Now I kind of realize life is too short to be so dang serious all the time. I want to throw a silly party with ridiculous decorations and make my kid laugh at me a little. It may very well have been more for me than for them in some ways, but it wasn't to have that Pinterest-inspired Party Planning award. It was to say its my child's birthday, and I am thrilled to celebrate it! Also if you are a parent and have not seen the Parenthood movie or the NBC tv series than you need to! They vividly, but beautifully show the stories of their characters dealing with real-life parenting issues. The successes, struggles, heartache, joy and much more! So just to share some of those special projects and moments with you all, and maybe give you some ideas to have fun with too!

Kaleb's 2nd Birthday was "Barnyard Birthday" because he was really starting to love animals!


Hubby made out of cardboard, paint, and white tape. Grand total $3 for paint.


My pig balloon

Hard to see, but photo collage of Kaleb with animals at the zoo, livestock show, and pumpkin patch. 



Kora's First Birthday Party was a very refined and feminine "Tea Party"
What's a tea party without scones, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and chocolates!
Watch me grow banner with monthly milestones 

Have to have petit fours and rose cupcakes too!


Note sure she looks very refined here, but still a cutie.

Coloring pages and make your own tea party necklaces


Place the cup to catch the tea, a more sophisticated "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" game

"Mom where's the cake already?!?"

"And that's all for me!!"

"Just give it me, who needs a cup!"



Kaleb's 3rd Birthday Party "Kaleb's Clubhouse" because he loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

Photo Collage from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Birthdays!



I found these party labels free online!



Toodles was made out of foam board and foam sheets.

Games included tools provided by Toodles. 




Enjoy your kids birthdays, it doesn't have to be in the form of a party. Take them to the zoo, see a movie and bring them to their favorite restaurant, go bowling, go to a park for a picnic or camping and hiking, or bring them to a great science museum. Whatever your kids are in to doing and enjoy, make the day of it! Its a blessing to celebrate another year of their life. Go be that crazy cowboy Dan! I had fun with these, but I think next year we will do something different to spice it up a bit. And maybe let some professionals handle it.....the real cowboy entertainers....hello Jump-N-Jive or Bambinos Playtorium! ;)

Gratefully,
Diana

2 comments:

  1. Love!! Maybe you can help me with my kids LOL I think my right brain died :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime!I see your blog! Looks great. I will barter you for advice on how to design blogs for birthday party ideas!? : ) I am still trying to figure it all out. Following yours!

    ReplyDelete