Sunday, December 6, 2015

21 Day FIX...now moving FORWARD into 2016!

Its been 6 months!! Got my Fix on, and now moving FOWARD. If you read some of my past posts about my experience with Health and Fitness Challenge groups, aka "Health and Fitness Accountability Groups" as we like to call them now, then you may have seen that I started this journey almost 6 months ago! See the The Challenge Triad! and Happier and Healthier: What Health and Fitness Challenge groups did for me?


Wow, I can't believe its been 6 months already. I used to always say "I wish I had time to go to the gym or take a class", and would play my mini-violin for why I didn't have to time to do it! But then I realized I just needed to make time!! So I said "I WILL do this, its too important to me". And I have been making time ever since. So in honor of my 6 months mark of this journey, I thought I would reflect on where I am now, the two NEW programs that I have completed, and where I am headed next!

This past fall or "Autumn", I have been doing the very popular fitness program, the 21 Day Fix (21DF). In the beginning of November, I started the 21 Day Fix Extreme! I was a bit hesitant to begin the 21DF because I had recently completed Focus T25 (which is a very high-intensity, cardio/toning workout) and then literally danced around with Cize. Both are Shaun T programs that require endurance and coordination. So I knew the 21DF would probably be a new and perhaps uncomfortable experience since it required the use of weights and focused intensely on strengthening. But my goal from the beginning of this journey was primarily to strengthen and tone. Tighten it up!

These two program are INCREDIBLY effective! At least you certainly feel like they are affecting something! Autumn Calabrese gets you working your rear off. She is a motivator and driver! Much like Jillian Michaels, but not quite so intense and shout-y. What did I love about this program? Click here to check out the 21 Day Fix details and here is a Short 2 minute video for 21 Day Fix


  • 30 minute workouts- Yes, every workout in both programs is 30 minutes in duration. That is about all the time I got in the morning to spare, hence why I started with T25. I have just about that much time to workout. So to get it done in 30 minutes makes me smile!
  • Variety- the workouts are broken down into Cardio, Upper body, Lower body, Pilates, Yoga, Dirty 30 (which is cardio/full body strengthening workout--LOVE!), and there is also a Plyo Fix. Plyo is an intense plyometric workout (think jumping jacks and squat jumps).
  • Use of simple equipment- I didn't think I would like the use of weights. But the program recommends a set of light and heavy weights. I used a 5 lbs set and an 8 lbs set. I also had a resistance band that came with my T25 pack that I used sometimes instead of the weights. I was surprised the different muscles that are worked between the two different forms of equipment. The Pilates Extreme workout utilized the resistance band the whole time, but talk about feeling like you sculpt yourself into a statue after that one! 
  • Modifications/Modifiers- So almost all the workouts include a modifier doing the program at a lower intensity level. They also have a modifier for doing more advanced moves or bringing it up a level. The Yoga workout for instance shows many variations of the poses you can chose to do based on your comfort level. I also liked how they incorporated the demonstrations of using the weights and/or bands with the exercises. 
  • Organization- This was certainly a feature of these two programs that I really liked! You have ROUNDS and each round is a set of 2 or 3 exercises that are repeated at least twice. One workout involves a set of 5 exercises repeated twice and there is only 2 rounds. Autumn will break it down at the beginning of each workout about how the exercises will flow. She also does a great job at demonstrating the exercise before the actual 60 sec countdown. I notice with other programs, T25/P90x/Turbo Fire they just jump right into the exercise and you spend half your time trying to figure out how to do it. This is helpful, and something to consider if you are not so quick to catching on to things or struggle with coordination. My Type A organizational-self really liked that aspect of the program. 
  • Breaks and water! Yes you can catch your breath!! In 10-15 seconds you get to breathe and get a sip of water. T25 is non-stop with no real breaks. In Cize your water break doesn't come until you are almost finished the workout right before you "Cize it up" aka.... do the routine that has been choreographed to music at tempo. 
  • Motivational quotes-We need those to keep us focused...eyes on the prize. And Autumn provides many of them. "You can do anything for 60 seconds", "Don't undo what you did today in the kitchen", "Life doesn't get easier, you just get stronger", and many more. 
  • Color-coded Portion Control Containers- Simplified, nutrition plan that visually teaches you portion control and helps you learn how much you should be eating in a day. You are given 7 of these containers that are color coded to represent your food groups. So the green container is for your vegetables, the red is protein, the yellow is carbs, and so on. Based on your weight and activity level you fall into a bracket, if you will, indicating how many containers of each food group you can have in a day. The meal plan also has exactly what can be put in each container, and if it FITS in the container you can EAT it. So no calorie counting. You simply check off your allotted containers for the day. These container were solely part of the 21DF programs, but now they are being incorporated into almost all of the programs. They are so simple and effective that they have decided put them in most of the Beachbody Challenge packs. 
    Color-coded portion control containers super easy to use!
  • SHAKEOLOGY- last but certainly not least, a 30-day supply of Shakeology is part of the program. Shakeology is part of all of the challenge packs (in fact THE part of most of the fitness programs). I will post more about why I love Shakeology later, but for now I just want to share with you that I have been drinking Shakeology almost daily for these last several months and I am starting to really see and feel the positive changes in my hair, skin, nails, and of course energy levels! I think this super-food drink is delicious, easy to prepare, and gives me the essential nutrients I need. It takes the guesswork out of nutrition for one meal a day. I drink it every morning after my workouts. Its my breakfast during the week, keeps me full, and provides protein, probiotics, prebiotics, multi-vitamins, phytonutrients, antioxidants, and much more in one shake that I now crave!
    I get the combinatin pack of Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry. You get a calender of many different recipes! 

So what's next on my to-do list!? For now, in our December Accountability group I am having a fantastic time sampling different workouts by streaming them off of Beachbody On Demand (BOD). BOD gives you access to 100's workouts. You can do a highlighted workout from the newer programs like the 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, Piyo, Cize, Insanity Max, T25, and the new Hammer and Chisel! But you ALSO have access to the all the workouts from some of the classics like Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire, P90x3, P90x2, P90x, Insanity, and so much more. So I am fishing around and trying something new everyday. My goal in December with the holiday fanfare upon us is just to "keep it up!". I need to stay motivated to workout every single day, and I think mixing it up with some variety will do that.
Sweating after a quick-paced Turbo Fire workout

Yoga Booty Ballet and Strawberry Shakeology

NEW YEAR's, new fitness program! I plan on doing Chalene Johnson's Piyo. The combination of pilates and yoga! I have always enjoyed doing pilates and yoga. I look extremely forward to starting this workout series. I have been eyeing it for quite some time. I have been doing a 30-day PUSH challenge online series with Chalene Johnson. This is a daily, task-oriented Challenge to get you thinking about your 6-12 months goals and how to go about succeeding at those goals. I have grown to truly admire this amazingly tenacious and determined woman. 

What is PiYo?
From celebrity trainer Chalene Johnson, PiYo is a low-impact, high-intensity 60-day body transformation program. It uses the most effective pilates and yoga inspired moves set to a fast pace to help burn fat and sculpt long, lean muscles.  Carve every inch of the body without jumps, weights, or strained joints.

If you have any interest in joining come January 1st, please don't hesitate to PM me through facebook or email me at dianacoulon11@gmail.com
Let's make 2016 your healthiest year yet! I will also be utilizing resources and daily motivational tips to help incorporate healthy habits and making them stick for long-term success!


UPDATE (12/20/15): Since I wrote this last blog post, I have decided to do the new Beachbody program Hammer and Chisel at the start of 2016. I do still certainly plan on doing PiYo, but many people in our accountability team are trying out the new program so I think it will be fun to have the accountability and encouragement with us committed to doing it together! This is designed to be a duo program that you and your significant other can do together. I don't know if I will get my to join it, but there is always hope, right? 
The NEW Hammer and Chisel!

Gratefully,
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment